Article 1. Organization Name
The organization established hereunder shall be named “Tourism Promotion Organization for Asia Pacific Cities,” hereafter referred to as the Organization.
Article 2. Objective
The Organization aims to build partnerships between cities and organizations in the Asia Pacific Region that encourage its members to work together in promoting tourism in the region.
Article 3. Main Activities
In pursuit of the above objectives, the Organization shall conduct:
- (1)Activities that support the active exchange of information and opinions among the member cities;
- (2)The promotion and marketing of tourist destinations and the development of new tourism products;
- (3)Activities to develop human resources in the tourism sector; and
- (4)Such other activities as will achieve or contribute to its objectives.
Article 4. Membership
1.Member categories for the Organization shall be comprised of the following:
<Category 1: Government>
<Category 2: Non-Profit and Non-Government Organization>
- (1)City Member: Cities in the Asia-Pacific region that join the Organization; and
- (2)Alliance Members: Except the city government, government at all levels wishing to promote tourism cooperation and exchange with cities and tourism businesses in Asia Pacific region.
<Category 3: Business and Industry>
- (1)Association Member: Associations related to the tourism industry;
- (2)Destination Marketing Organization (DMO) Member: DMOs at all levels, including National Tourism Organizations (NTO), Regional Tourism Organization (RTO), and Convention and Visitors Bureaus (CVB).
- (3)Research Member: Researchers or research bodies researching the tourism industry.
- (4)Student Member: Students studying the field of tourism covering the Asia Pacific region.
- (1)Business Member: Businesses and individual persons wishing to contribute to the growth of the tourism industry; and
- (2)Media Member: Newspapers, broadcasting, Internet newspapers, and other similar organizations.
- 2.Applications for membership, among those described above, shall obtain the approval of the Executive Committee.
- 3.Members shall pay admission fees and membership fees to the Organization to enable its efficient operation.
- 4.The Executive Committee shall determine the amount of admission fees and membership fee.
- 5.Each member shall recognize and faithfolly folfill all obligations under these statutes for the promising evolution of the Organization.
Article 5. Admission
- 1.Those wishing to apply for membership shall submit their completed application to the Secretary General.
- 2.Upon receiving an application for membership as provided in the foregoing Paragraph, the Secretary General shall evaluate and shall forward the application for membership to the Executive Committee with his recommendation for acceptance or rejection.
- 3.The Executive Committee shall decide who shall become a member of the Organization, which decision shall be final.
Article 6. Withdrawal
- 1.The representative of the member organization that wishes to withdraw from membership shall submit a withdrawal letter to the Secretary General.
- 2.Withdrawal from membership will become effective on the 30th day after the said withdrawal request is accepted by the Secretary General.
- 3.Withdrawal from membership with the Organization will not relieve the withdrawing members from all obligations imposed upon members under these Statutes.
Article 7. Composition
The Organization shall be comprised of the following sub-organizations:
- (1)General Assembly
- (2)Executive Committee
Article 8. President and Co-President
- 1.The Organization shall have a President and Co-Presidents of no more than five, who shall be elected at the General Assembly subject to the following criteria:
- (1)The Chair of the Executive Committee shall recommend candidates for the President city and Co-President cities among city members
- (2)A President city and Co-President cities shall be elected by a majority of votes at the General Assembly; and
- (2)Incumbent Mayors of the elected President city and the elected Co-President cities will serve as President and Co-Presidents of the Organization.
- 2.The President shall represent the Organization within the boundary of his or her responsibilities for decisions to be made by the General Assembly and the Executive Committee.
- 3.The President and the Co-Presidents shall serve a two-year term of office, and each shall be eligible for reelection.
- 4.The Co-Presidents shall assist the President and shall perform the duties of the President during such time as the President is unable to perform the duties of the office due to unavoidable circumstances.
- 5.In the event that the mayor of the city serving as President or the mayor of the city serving as Co-President ceases to hold office as mayor for any reason, the succeeding mayor shall assume the duties of President or Co-President respectively.
Article 9. General Assembly
The General Assembly shall consist of all members of the Organization and shall make decisions on the following matters:
- (1)The Organization’s principal policies and projects plans;
- (2)Revision and repeal of these Statutes;
- (3)Election of the President and the Co-Presidents;
- (4)All other important matters regarding projects and operation of the organization.
2.Meetings of the General Assembly shall be convened by the President and shall be chaired by the representative of the host city.
3.All decisions by the General Assembly shall require approval by a majority of the government members present at the meeting.
Notwithstanding the provision of Paragraph 2 of this Article, when the President considers it impossible to convene the General Assembly due to time constraints, he or she can ask the members to vote in writing instead of holding the General Assembly. Any resolution adopted by a majority vote through this voting process should be regarded as the same resolution made at a convened meeting of the General Assembly. In that case, the President shall report the result of voting to the next General Assembly.
The General Assembly shall be held every two years.
Article 10. The Executive Committee
The following cities shall be the members of the Executie Committee:
- (1)President city and Co-President cities;
- (2)One city member for each participating country, and
- (3)Non-city members invited by the Executive Committee
2.When a country has more than ten city members, the Executive Committee is able to additionally appoint city members of the country as members of the committee by common consent.
3.The number of representatives of non-city members appointed as Executive members shall not exceed the number of Executive Committee members who are representatives of city members.
4.The Executive Committee shall make decisions on the following matters in terms of operating the Organization and planning and implementing its projects:
- (1)Compilation of the budget and settlement of accounts;
- (2)Creation of basic policies and project plans of the Organization;
- (3)Other matters associated with the projects and the operation of the Organization.
- 5.The President city shall be the Chair of the Executive Committee, and the Vice-Chair shall be the city designated by the Chair.
- 6.Meetings of the Executive Committee shall be convened by the Chair as occasion demands and shall be chaired by the Chair.
- 7.Each member of the Executive Committee shall serve a term of two years and shall be eligible for reappointment.
- 8.All decisions by the Executive Committee should require approval by a majority of the members present at the meeting
- 9.The provisions of Paragraph 4 of Article 9 also shall apply to the Executive Committee Meeting.
- 10.To ensure the efficient operation of the Organization, the Executive Committee may form subcommittees under its umbrella that will carry out the specific tasks to be assigned to them. The Executive Committee shall determine the purpose, membership, and manner of operation of each such subcommittee.
Article 11. TPO Forum
- 1.The Tourism Promotion Organization (TPO) shall conduct forums for members to achieve the following objectives:
- (1)Gather views and opinions of its members; and
- (2)Help its members enhance the capabilities and skills of their employees.
- 2.TPO Forums shall be held every two years and shall be chaired by the mayor of the host city.
Article 12. Secretariat
- 1.The Secretariat shall be located in Busan Metropolitan City and shall perform the following duties:
- (1)Executing decisions of the General Assembly and of the Executive Committee;
- (2)Assisting those members engaged in tourism-promotion projects;
- (3)Holding meetings necessary for the operation of the TPO; and
- (4)Such other matters associated with the operation of the TPO.
- 2.The Secretariat shall have the Secretary General and other staff members.
- 3.The Secretary General shall be appointed by the president of the TPO according to the recommendation of the Executive Committee.
- 4.The Secretary General’s term of office shall be three years on a renewable basis.
- 5.Operation of the Secretariat shall be in accordance with “Regulations for the Operation of the Secretariat.”
Article 13. Expenses
Expenses incurred through the administration of projects and operation of the Organization shall be borne by each member involved, subject to the following:
- (1)The expenses to host the General Assembly and TPO Forum shall be borne by the city and Non-city members of the host city.
- (2)The expenses to host the Executive Committee Meeting shall be borne by the host city.
- (3)Travel expenses for participating in the meetings of the Organization shall be borne by each participant.
- (4)The expenses for operating the Secretariat shall be borne with collected membership fees and any deficiency will be paid by Busan Metropolitan City.
- (5)The expenses for the joint projects undertaken by the Organization shall be borne with collected membership fees, and any deficiency will be paid by all the members of the Organization.
- (6)The expenses for the joint projects in which a part of the members participate shall be borne with the very members participating in those projects.
Article 14. Authority Delegation
In addition to the matters provided for under these Statutes, the President is authorized to make any decisions that pertain to the projects and the operation of the Organization.
- Article 1 amended in 2007
- Article 3 amended in 2007
- Article 4 amended in 2003, 2007, 2009
- Article 5 amended in 2003, 2007
- Article 6 amended in 2007, 2009
- Article 7 amended in 2007
- Article 8 amended in 2003, 2007, 2011
- Article 9 amended in 2003, 2007, 2009, 2011
- Article 10 amended in 2003, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2015
- Article 11 amended in 2007
- Article 12 amended in 2003, 2007, 2009
- Article 13 amended in 2003, 2007
- Article 14 amended in 2007